Thursday, May 22, 2008

2010 Dietary Guidelines Committee

From Nutrition & Metabolism Society:

As you probably know, the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) shapes the contents of the food pyramid. They are currently in the process of developing plans for the 2010 Food Pyramid and selecting experts for the committee.

This panel should reasonably include scientists or nutritionists who have experience with diets low in carbohydrates and, understand their impact on health.

In the past, the USDA has not included such researchers on their panels.

We're reaching out to you to ask for your help in communicating to the USDA the importance of including viewpoints like Dr.'s Feinman, Volek, Westman and Lustig on the Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee. Your encouragement will help ensure that the Committee has a balanced view of diet and nutrition.

Following is a sample template letter to the USDA (Carole.Davis@cnpp.usda.gov). Please customize with your own personal story, (Be sure to cc: NMS info@nmsociety.org and your Congressional Represenative and Senators). The dead line for nominations is May 23 so please take the time to do this now.

Personal stories about results of lowering carbohydrates in your diet will send a powerful message to the USDA. Let them know you have valuable input and a voice that will be heard.

For a list of qualified candidates, please consider NMS Scientific Board Members.

Thank you.

--------------------

Sample Letter

Carole.Davis@cnpp.usda.gov

Nutrition Promotion Staff Director
Co-Executive Secretary of the Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee
Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion
US Department of Agriculture
3101 Park Center Drive, Room 1034
Alexandria, VA 22302

Dear Ms. Davis:

I am writing you about the recent announcement about the establishment of the Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee for the 2010 Food Pyramid. I understand that the selection process is currently underway to determine what voices will be part of the discussion about the framework for the American diet. Some aspects of the current food pyramid are not a reflection of the needs that most Americans like myself have in order to maintain health. I encourage you to ensure that researchers who have performed extensive studies on the benefits of adjusting variables in the diet, like Dr. ___________ be included on the panel.

I have many reasons for wanting to make sure that the panel includes experts on the science behind different kinds of diets, such as diets low in carbohydrates. [insert your own personal story - 1 or 2 paragraphs - about the results you have achieved by lowering the carbohydrates in your diet. Write about how these results have made you feel. What health effects have you seen?]

Facts about the science of low-carb diets are important to the discussion about the new food pyramid. I urge you to make sure the Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee includes scientists who are well-informed about these issues.

Sincerely,
[Your name]

Cc: www.NMSociety.org
(your senator)
(your congress person)

12 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:48 PM

    Thanks for this Regina. I wrote and copied my two senators and congressman. Thanks, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen this from many sources and got my nomination in last night. Maybe we can make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, just stopped by looking for low carb blogs.
    I'm not in your country so can't do your letter.

    When I first started losing weight my doctor told me to do a mix of low carb/low fat - no information though, that was left to me.
    I lost most of my weight just doing low to medium fat and high carb, till I stalled.
    I am now doing low to moderate carbs and I have to say i feel better for it, plus my weight is coming back off now and no hunger pangs.
    So there is something to this low carb WOE,and I will be keeping a moderate to low carb amount when maintaining too.
    I think word is spreading that we don't need to all be carboholics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:37 AM

    In your photo, you appear to be overweight. Your husband appears to suffer from the same problem. Why should anyone take weight loss advice from someone who can't even control her own weight? It seems the controlled-carb lifestyle isn't working for you, so why do you waste so much time advocating it so strongly?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:28 PM

    Let's not listen to anyone who isn't an ideal weight, they can't possibly have anything useful to say if they're not a perfect weight; well isn't that nice?

    You obviously haven't spent any time on her blog reading what she's written and shared. Personally I could care if she's still overweight or not, she's obviously healthy and knows what she is talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1:50 PM

    I don't think she or her husband look too fat. Are they overweight?

    Maybe I'm crazy, but I don't think her weight effects her ability to write or communicate here in ways that are helpful to others who are trying to lose weight with low-carb.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous2:19 PM

    Talk about rude!

    Anonymous didn't even have the guts to post that with their real name. I bet they're like 500 pounds and just jealous. Let it go, I for one read your blog everyday and think you're beautiful and your husband is quite handsome. Not that those things matter, but they only add to what you post by putting a face to the words.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous2:29 PM

    Fact is if she's still fat she should sit down and shut up about how to lose weight until she is a normal healthy weight. Same with her husband. Who is he to tell anyone how to lose weight when he's fat too? What is this, the do as I say not as I do blog? If neither of them are a normal healthy weight, then this controlled-carb diet isn't working and they should eat a healthy diet instead and see if that does the trick cause it doesn't look like cutting carbs worked for them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous3:10 PM

    If you don't think she has anything relevant to say, don't come by, it's that easy. You don't have to attack her personally or her hubby, that's just totally rude.

    Regina why are you even letting the comments through? Just hit "reject" and the comment won't show up here!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Regina why are you even letting the comments through? Just hit "reject" and the comment won't show up here!

    Yeah...but my moderation policy is pretty much all comments go through unless they're spam/linked to spam or way over the top.

    I look at it this way....ok, so someone comments I'm overweight...that's OK, I am.

    That I'm still overweight doesn't mean I'm brain-dead, don't understand the data from studies nor does it mean that I haven't a clue how to lose weight or maintain after losing...I lost 30% of my body weight (BMI drop of 11 points) doing low-carb and in fact have kept it off for more than seven years eating controlled-carb.

    If for someone like our troll above thinks that my remaining 'overweight' disqualifies my ability and qualification to discuss diet and health, share my experience, knowledge and opinion...so be it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous7:14 PM

    You're very much appreciated, Regina.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Any idea when we'll hear the results of who's on the committee?

    ReplyDelete