Tuesday, August 08, 2006

What Does an Experienced Low-Carber Eat to Lose Weight?

With the goal to induce ketosis as quickly as possible, I ate the following yesterday:

Breakfast
Omelet made with raw cheddar cheese & baby spinach cooked in organic butter
Coffee with heavy cream
200mcg chromium picolinate

Mid-Morning
Atkins Chocolate Protein Shake
Multivitamin w/o iron
2 Atkins Essential Oils
Coffee with heavy cream

Lunch
Chef salad with mixed salad greens, cucumbers, turkey, roast beef, ham, hard boiled egg, and organic ranch dressing
Fish oil
Unsweetened iced tea with fresh-squeezed lemon juice

Dinner
Chicken stir-fry, prepared in wok with avocado oil, organic soy sauce, broccoli florets and bean sprouts
500mg L-Carnetine
Water

3 comments:

  1. For me, the 200mcg of chromium is for fat/cholesterol metabolism, not blood sugars. Both fasting blood glucose and glucose tolerance are well within the normal range for me.

    Chromium is an essential trace element for humans and in the next week or so - and as my intake of non-starchy vegetables (which are a good source of chromium) are lower than usual and my consumption of cholesterol is higher than usual, I've added the chromium supplement...since data suggests chromium may participate in cholesterol & nucleic acid metabolism. In later weeks as I significantly increase non-starchy vegetables, I'll eliminate it once again. Basically, right now it's a "safety net" addition to my daily food and supplements.

    Acetyl L-Carnetine is included for two main reasons - one is that it provides acetyle groups which are used in the formation of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine; and two is its function to transport long-chain fatty acids into the mitochondrial matrix. Additionally data suggests an important role in glucose metabolism.

    Without a full understanding of your requirements, I can't make any recommendations of what you should or should not include as an individual.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why does the multivitamin have to be without iron?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Billy...I'm consuming enough iron in my diet; if it were also in my supplement, it would be too much!

    ReplyDelete